Having ice in your home has become a common necessity. In most cases, people would buy ice from the grocery store and still be forced to keep it in the freezer so that it does not melt. However, that is now a thing of the past since you can easily make ice in just a matter of minutes.
The market is flooded with tons of portable ice makers and this might be confusing for ordinary consumers. There are different brands and models of these routers, with each having its unique features. All these routers are portable and you should therefore try to establish the distinguishing factor that would make you choose one router over the other. We have compiled a list of the top 10 routers in the table below and have compared their features, benefits, pros and cons. We hope this makes it easier for you to make a decision in terms of the portable ice maker that you wish to purchase.
Features of Portable Ice Makers
- There are light indicators or an alarm system, which will mainly notify you when you need to add water to the tank or when the ice bin is full.
- You can make ice in a matter of minutes with most cycles lasting between 6 and 15 minutes.
- Most ice makers will produce 9 to 12 ice cubes in a single cycle.
- There is a removable ice tray and an ice scoop, which are specifically meant to empty the ice when it is ready.
- The automatic overflow protection safeguards the machine from any potential damage that may be cause by ice over flowing and as such it stops the machine when the ice bin is full.
* Special Feature
In recent technologies, most portable ice makers have a self-cleaning function, which is very useful in keeping the machine clean.
Parts of Portable Ice Makers
There are so many parts, which make up the ice maker and allow it to function. Here are the main parts and their functions:
- Water Reservoir: This is simply the water tank, where the water will be poured into for purposes of making ice.
- Ice Bucket: This is referred to as the ice tray or ice bin in some models. This is where all the produced ice will collect. You should empty the ice as soon as the bucket is full.
- Drain: The purpose of the drain is to carry away any water that may spill from the machine.
- Lid: This is the cover of the ice maker, which will protect any pieces from being thrown out of the machine during the process.
- Control Panel: This has all the buttons to operate the machine as well as the display system, which indicates the progress of the ice maker.
How Does the Portable Ice Maker Work?
Here are some easy steps that you can follow when using your ice maker:
- Assemble all the relevant parts and set up your ice maker in your preferred location.
- Fill up the water tank and then connect the machine to the power outlet.
- Select the preferred ice sizes that you want to make and set the timer, if you have the option.
- Allow six or so minutes and then empty your ice tray using the scoop provided for most models.
Benefits of Using Portable Ice Markers
- Unlike the ordinary ice trays, you will be able to produce ice in a fast manner. You can have your ice ready in about ten minutes and get about 30 pounds of ice.
- The ice makers come with settings to produce different ice sizes and this will allow you to have customized ice that can suit your occasions in the best ways possible.
- The compact design of the ice makers makes it possible to store it anywhere on your kitchen countertop or even the living room with the appliances that you have.
- Most of these portable ice makers are made from stainless steel and this allows it to last for a long period of time. The stainless steel is free from any rust and is long lasting.
- Make as much as 30 pounds of ice in a single day.
- You can have a single batch of ice made in less than 10 minutes and, in this time you will have at least 9 pieces of ice.
- There is an automatic overflow protection on most of these ice makers and this will prevent the melting ice from spilling on the other parts of the machine.
- The control panel is easy to read and this makes it very simple to operate the machine and produce ice anywhere.
- There are lighted indicators on most of the ice makers, which serve as the alarm system to inform you when you need to empty the ice or refill water in the water reservoir.
- The dimensions of the portable ice makers will make it easy to install it anywhere as it fit on any countertop, without much of a problem.
- Most consumers complain that these portable ice makers breakdown easily, just after a couple of months of use.
- There have been cases of the ice makes producing a bad stench on the first days of use and this also affects the taste of the ice cubes.
- Some of the ice makers are hard to clean since they lack a self-cleaning mechanism.
- There are instances where the ice produce is watery and melts away easily.
Top Portable Ice Maker Brands Reviews
In as much as there are so many brands of the portable ice makers, there are some brands that are rated highly. Here are the brands that we found to be the market leaders:
This is a company that has built its reputation around water and portable appliances and this does not come as a surprise that it has some of the best portable ice makers. The company was started back in 2002 and has achieved tremendous growth over the years. The company has been in the business of producing different models of portable ice makers. The Avalon ice makers are known to be durable and have a stylish finish, which can match any kitchen theme that may interest you. The portable ice makers made by Avalon Bay usually produce 9 ice cubes in a single batch.
EdgeStar is part of Living Direct and mainly focuses on making portable and innovative products. In most cases, these would be products that occupy minimal space, but are quite efficient. The company has been rated as a market leader in producing portable appliances like the ice makers so as to accommodate the busy lifestyles that we have. The customer support is exceptional and you will get all the support that you will need from the manufacturer.
This is truly a green company as it embraces energy conservation in a great way. This is a unique company that makes premier home appliances, which are idea for your kitchen. This is why it is ranked among the top companies with the best portable ice makers. All the products made by the company are styling since the main objective is to accentuate your home. The appliances are also made to efficient in that you will not be disappointed. In fact, in most cases, these appliances surpass the expectations of the consumers.
Magic Chef is a brand name that as formerly known as American Stove Company. This is one of the brands owned by MCA Corporation and it specializes in portable appliances and house wares. There are a number of appliances owned by this brand, but the portable ice makers have become an all-time favorite for most consumers. The machine allows users to make ice in barely 6 minutes, without a sweat.
This brand has a number of portable ice makers in the market. The company enjoys the reputation of being one that produces eco-friendly products. The portable ice makers are a great innovation, which is aimed at helping the busy consumers get ice in just a couple of minutes. All the appliances are made so as to ensure that you conserve energy when using them. The quality of the items that the company produced is unquestionable and seems to last for a very long period of time.
Top 5 Portable Ice Makers Review
In order to help you making your buying decision easier, we have narrowed down to the top rated portable ice makers in the market. Here are the top 5 ice makers currently in the market:
- EdgeStar IP210SS portable ice maker
- Avalon Bay AB-ICE26S portable ice maker
- NewAir AI-100R 28-pound ice maker
- Ivation portable ice maker
- Sunpentown IM-101 portable ice maker
EdgeStar portable stainless steel ice maker
The EdgeStar ice maker has the ability to make 28 pounds of ice in 24 hours. A single cycle takes about 10 minutes to complete and in this time you will have 9 ice cubes. The ice maker has a 1 gallon water reservoir, with an ice bucket that can hold 2 pounds of ice at a go. This means that you will always have fresh ice on your machine. The machine comes with a setting to select three different sizes and this means you will have 3 ice cubes that you can choose from.
Avalon Bay AB-ICE26S portable ice maker
Avalon Bay AB-ICE26S can generate 9 ice cubes in a single cycle and this takes about 6 minutes. You will be able to produce 26 pounds of ice in a span of 24 hours. This machine has an automatic overflow protection, which will safeguard your computer from any spills of ice that melts away. There are two ice sizes to choose from and you can make ice in large volumes in just a matter of minutes.
NewAir AI-100R 28-pound portable ice maker
The NewAir AI-100R 28-pound ice maker is a compact ice maker that weighs 24.3 pounds and has the ability to produce 28 pounds of ice in a day. It has a freestanding design which will make it easy to set it up. There are electronic controls, which have easy-touch buttons and an LED display. You can make 9 ice cubes in a span of 15 minutes and the ice tray is removable, which makes it easy to empty the ice.
Ivation portable high capacity ice maker
With the Ivation portable, you will have 3 different ice cube sizes to choose from and it will only take about 6 minutes to complete a single cycle. The removable ice tray will allow you to remove the ice from the ice bin easily. This is one of the top rated machines due to the innovative high efficiency compressor refrigerator.
Sunpentown IM-101 portable ice maker
The Sunpentown IM-101 portable ice maker is one of the machines that has capacity to produce so much ice in a day since it can make 35 pounds of ice. There is a water tank that holds 1.2 gallons of water and will be able to produce 12 ice cubes in less than 10 minutes. The ice bucket has the ability to hold 2.5 pounds of ice at a given time.
How to Choose a Suitable Portable Ice Marker
Here are some key steps to consider when buying a portable ice makers:
- Start by analyzing your needs as far as the ice is concerned in terms of amount required, ice sizes and so on.
- The second step is to find the various models and compare the features and functions of each.
- You should focus on the dimensions and weight of the ice maker, depending on where you want to set it up.
- The size of the water tank, capacity of the ice bin is also a significant consideration.
- You should also look into the details of the control panel; the buttons and the display.
- Look at the warranty details of the ice maker.
Tips When Buying a Portable Ice Maker
- Consider the amount of water that the reservoir holds.
- It is important to know how long a single cycle takes to make ice and the number of ice cubes produced.
- Check for the settings on the sizes of ice cubes that can be made using the machine.
- The ice bin is also a consideration that you should look into. Check if it is removable and the capacity that it holds at a given time.
- The dimensions and weight of the ice maker is also an imperative consideration when buying an ice maker.
- Finally, it is important to consider the cleaning mechanisms of the machine that you wish to buy.
Basic User Guide, Installation and Maintenance
When you buy your portable ice maker, it has a user manual, which will provide details on how to use it. Ideally, all you need is to set it up, with most of them not requiring permanent installation. In most cases, these ice makers use standard power outlet, so you do not have to worry about that. Once you set it up, add water to the reservoir, select the ice size sizes and start your machine. Within a couple of minutes, you will have your ice in the ice tray ready for use.
Generally speaking, the portable ice makers are a great revolution that has joined the appliances market. This will save you the numerous trips that have to make to the grocery store to buy ice. There are so many brands that have come into the market and this might confuse many consumers. The pointers mentioned above are aimed at making this process easier for the ordinary consumer.